- Australian Coins
- Australian Banknotes
- Pre Decimal Banknotes
- Paper Banknotes
- Polymer Banknotes
- NPA Banknote Folders
- Special Serial Numbers
- Michael Leunig
- Australian Collectibles
- Australia Post Philatelics
- Australian Antique Maps
- Past Opportunities
1991-2 $5 Australia Last and First NPA Folders
There are 5 of these wonderful folders available. They are being sold seperately. Each of the NPA note folders was released to mark the passing from paper notes to polymer notes. These contain 2 notes each.
There are no first or last prefix numbers amongst them. They are all general prefix notes throughout the 5 folders.
The paper note with Fraser and Cole signatures (R213) and the polymer note with Fraser and Evans signatures (R214) with dated OvPT.
The folder is printed with imagery from Australia's Parliament House. This folder is truly a nice collectors investment piece.
Your purchase unless stipulating otherwise is for one (1) folder containing 2 notes.
In 1978 the Fraser government decided to proceed with a new building on Capital Hill, and the Parliament House Construction Authority was created. A two-stage competition was announced, for which the Authority consulted the Royal Australian Institute of Architects and, together with the National Capital Development Commission, made available to competitors a brief and competition documents. The design competition drew 329 entries from 29 countries. The competition winner was the New York-based architectural firm of Mitchell/Giurgola, with the on-site work directed by Italian architect Romaldo Giurgola, with a design which involved burying most of the building under Capital Hill, and capping the edifice with an enormous spire topped by a large Australian flag. The facades, however, included deliberate imitation of some of the patterns of the Old Parliament House, so that there is a slight resemblance despite the massive difference of scale.
*All biographical details are taken from Wikipedia for education purposes only.
Design Details $5 Paper:
Obverse: Sir Joseph Banks, 1st Baronet, GCB, PRS (13 February 1743 – 19 June 1820) was a British naturalist, botanist and patron of the natural sciences. He took part in Captain James Cook's first great voyage (1768–1771). Banks is credited with the introduction to the Western world of eucalyptus, acacia, mimosa, and the genus named after him, Banksia. Approximately 80 species of plants bear Banks's name. Banks was also the leading founder of the African Association, a British organization dedicated to the exploration of Africa, and a member of the Society of Dilettanti, which helped to establish the Royal Academy.
Reverse: Caroline Chisholm (30 May 1808 – 25 March 1877) was a progressive 19th-century English humanitarian known mostly for her involvement with female immigrant welfare in Australia. She is commemorated in the Calendar of saints of the Church of England. There are proposals for the Catholic Church to also recognise her as a saint, Watermark: Captain Cook in left panel
Design Details $5 Polymer:
Obverse:Queen Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926) is the queen regnant of sixteen independent sovereign states known informally as the Commonwealth realms: the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. She holds each crown separately and equally in a shared monarchy, as well as acting as Head of the Commonwealth, Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and Head of State of the Crown Dependencies, British overseas territories, the Realm of New Zealand and the external territories of Australia. As a constitutional monarch, she is politically neutral and by convention her role is largely ceremonial.
Reverse:Old and New Parliament House, Capital Hill, Canberra. Parliament House is the meeting place of the Parliament of Australia. It is located in Canberra, the capital of Australia. It was opened on 9 May 1988 by Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia. Its construction cost was over $1.1 billion. At the time of its construction it was the most expensive building in the Southern Hemisphere. Prior to 1988, the Parliament of Australia met in the Provisional Parliament House, which is now known as "Old Parliament House".
Watermark:With the introduction of the new polymer bank notes we saw the end of the customary watermark. It was replaced with a Variable Optical Security Device in the bottom corner.