1945 REICHSKREDITKASSEN 20 MARK G9116350

AUD$0.00

Out of stock

Compare
SKU: 1945REICHSKREDITKASSEN20MARKG9116350-D12 Category:

Description

WITH SS WAFFEN GRENADIER – SS PANZER DIVISION AND SS OFFICIAL FIELD STAMPS

The note has some small creases but there are no tears apart from missing a small corner on the upper left of the obverse. There are no pin holes and overall it is in remarkable condition for its times.

In short this is a rare and highly desirable German banknote and it was the by product of one of Germanys more interesting financial twists.

The Reichskreditkassen or Reich Credit Offices were set up as mobile banks that followed occupation forces into new areas and establishing a working a banking infrastructure when the existing banks in the newly occupied territory had been removed.

The note is valued at 20 Mark. The rarity of it lies in the field stamps that are stamped on both sides of the note.

We see on the obverse that it bears the official stamps of the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend or “Hitler Youth” and the 25th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Hunyadi repleat with Eagle and swastika.

On the reverse it has the the official stamp of the SS or Schutzstaffel which translates to “Protective Squadron”. 

Two Hungarian divisions were formed which were the 25th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS Hunyadi or 1st Hungarian and the 26th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS or 2nd Hungarian. They were mainly involved in fighting in Austria, Italy and Slovenia. These Grenadiers Divisions consisted mainly of Hungarian and Rumanian volunteers.

The 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend (“Hitler Youth”) was a German Waffen-SS armored division during World War II. The 12th SS Panzer Division was unique as they employed the use junior enlisted men who were specially selected from members of the Hitler Youth or Hitlerjugend. Their commanding officers and NCO’s were in the main combat hardened veterans of the Eastern Front.

The note is very unusual in bearing the original SS field stamp on the reverse as this is not at all common hence the collectors price tag. 

Additional information

SKU

Design

Issued by:   Reichskreditkassen (Reich Credit Offices)

Stamps:     12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend or “Hitler Youth”

                 25th Waffen Grenadier Division

                 SS or Schutzstaffel which translates to “Protective Squadron”

Value:        20 Mark

Date:         1945

Catalogue: Ro.192

Size:        155 x 80 mm

Oberse:     Portrait of Der Baumeister or master Builder by Albrecht Dürer

Reverse:    the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin

History

Reichskreditkassen (Reich Credit Offices) were originally instigated in Poland and worked very closely with the army. They were basically mobile or itinerant banks that followed in the wake of the troops into newly invaded territories and set up banking infrastructure.  It was an affiliate of the Reichsbank with head offices in Berlin.

The Reichskreditkassen were in the main responsible for the issue of special bank notes to the the armed forces in its remit. The notes were only legal in that territory or province and were not valid currency in other territories or the Reich. Banknotes were issued in denominations of 1, 2, 5, 20, and 50 Marks.

In areas such as Yugoslavia, Poland and Belgium where the original banking industry had been stripped away and had their records destroyed, the Reichskreditkassen stepped into the gap and provided the basis for the founding of a new monetary and financial system.

Overseeing  the administration of this financial institution were a host of various civil and military bodies. They included the the Commander-in-Chief of the army, the Economics Ministry, the Finance Ministry and even the Oberkommando.The role of Commander in Chief during this year of 1945 was somewhat prone to change:

General Colonel Heinz Guderian from 21 July 1944 until 28 March 1945
General of the Infantry Hans Krebs from 29 March 1945 until 1 May 1945
Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel from 1 May 1945 until 13 May 1945
General Colonel Alfred Jodl from 13 May 1945 until 23 May 1945