- Australian Coins
- Australian Banknotes
- Pre Decimal Banknotes
- Paper Banknotes
- Polymer Banknotes
- NPA Banknote Folders
- Special Serial Numbers
- Michael Leunig
- Australian Collectibles
- Australia Post Philatelics
- Australian Antique Maps
1961 Australia Ten Shillings - AH39
The note on offer here is certainly not one to be disregarded even despite its blemishes.
There is a centrefold and a small dog ear on the upper right.
The small brown rust / old ink stains on the bottom centre have transfered a little to the back of the note but in general it does not detract to much from the overall appeal. At this price the note makes for an attractive collection filler and it will, despite its few short comings continue to gain value.
Collecting Sterling currency banknotes from Australia is still a great past time.
Numerous private banks issued paper money in Australia, starting with the issues of the Bank of New South Wales in 1817. Acceptance of private bank notes was not made compulsory by legal tender laws but they were widely used and accepted. The Queensland and New South Wales governments also issued notes. The Queensland treasury notes were legal tender in Queensland. The first national issue of paper money consisted of overprinted notes from fifteen private banks and the Queensland government, issued between 1910-1914 in denominations of £1, £5, £10, £20, £50 and £100. They were overprinted with the words "Australian note". No £100 banknotes of this series are known to exist. In 1913 the first national banknotes were introduced in denominations of 10s, £1, £5, and £10. 1914 saw the introduction of £20, £50, £100, and £1000 notes. The £1000 note only saw limited circulation and was later confined to inter-bank use. Stocks were destroyed in 1969 and there are no uncancelled examples of this note known to exist in private hands. There were two types of the never-issued 5s note, one around 1916 and the other 1946, both had the reigning monarch and were later destroyed in 1936 and 1953, respectively. In the mid-1920s a modified 10s (worded as "Half Sovereign"), and reduced-size £1, £5 and £10 notes were issued with the side profile of King George V on the face. These notes still referred to the currency's convertibility to gold on demand. A newer £1000 note with the profile of George V was also prepared but never issued. An unissued printer's trial of this note was discovered in London in 1996 and subsequently sold for a sum in excess of $200,000. Nonetheless, this note is not recognised as a legitimate Australian banknote issue. Just after the start of the Great Depression in 1933, Australian currency ceased to be redeemable for gold at the previously maintained rate of one gold sovereign for one pound currency. Subsequently a new series of Legal Tender notes were designed, once again bearing the portrait of King George V, in denominations of 10s, £1, £5 and £10. These denominations and designs were maintained and modified to accommodate the portrait of King George VI in 1938. The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 saw the issue of a new portrait series of prominent persons in Australia's history. 10s – Matthew Flinders £1 – Queen Elizabeth II £5 – Sir John Franklin £10 – Arthur Phillip £50 - Sir Henry Parkes (This note was never issued to the public. A few specimens exist in private hands.) Unissued notes that were printed but never issued for circulation include two different 5-shilling notes, a 1916 with stock destroyed in 1936, and a 1946, stock destroyed in 1953. Both were printed with the reigning king's portrait. Two fifty-pound notes were designed, one from 1939 with King George VI and a 1951 as stated above. Both stocks of the £50 note were destroyed in 1958. A 1939 £100 also exists with a brown, green and pink colouration, with stock destroyed in 1958 as well. The last unissued note was a £1000, with specimens arriving in 1923 and kept till 1928 after a decision not to use the denomination any further. The reserve bank holds specimens of all the stated banknote denominations
*All biographical details are taken from Wikipedia for education purposes only.
Obverse: Captain Matthew Flinders RN (16 March 1774 – 19 July 1814) was one of the most successful navigators and cartographers of his age. In a career that spanned just over twenty years, he sailed with Captain William Bligh, circumnavigated Australia and encouraged the use of that name for the continent, which had previously been known as New Holland. He survived shipwreck and disaster only to be imprisoned for violating the terms of his scientific passport by changing ships and carrying prohibited papers. He identified and corrected the effect upon compass readings of iron components and equipment on board wooden ships and he wrote what may be the first work on early Australian exploration A Voyage to Terra Australis.
Reverse: Old Parliament House, formerly known as the Provisional Parliament House, was the seat of the Parliament of Australia from 1927 to 1988. The building was opened in 9 May 1927 as a temporary base for the Commonwealth Parliament following its relocation from Melbourne to the new capital, Canberra, until a more permanent building could be constructed. In 1988, the Commonwealth Parliament transferred to the new Parliament House on Capital Hill. It also serves as a venue for temporary exhibitions, lectures and concerts. In 1 May 2008 it was made an Executive Agency of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. On 9 May 2009, the Executive Agency was renamed the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House, reporting to the Special Minister of State. Designed by John Smith Murdoch and a team of assistants, the building was intended to be neither temporary nor permanent – only to be a ‘provisional’ building that would serve as a parliament for fifty years. The design brief extended from the building to include its gardens, décor and furnishings. The building is in the Stripped Classical Style, common in Australian government buildings constructed in Canberra during the 1920s and 1930s. It does not include classical architectural elements such as columns, entablatures or pediments, but does have the orderliness and symmetry associated with neoclassical architecture. The building's design was, and is, considered a success because of the clarity of shape, regular composition, dazzling whiteness and pleasantly human scale
Watermark: Captain Cook in left hand oval . The word ’Half’ also sits behind each of the signatories.