Home » Shop » 1966 Australia Two Dollars – FJS

1966 Australia Two Dollars – FJS

$29.95 AUD

Availability: 1 in stock

SKU: FJS549917-12 Category:

From the first year of decimal note production.

Nice condition note with signs of light handling.

A nice investment at this price.





Serial No.

Renniks No.

Approx. Grade


Obverse:John Macarthur (1766 – 11 April 1834) was a soldier, entrepreneur, politician and pioneer of the Australian wool industry.

Reverse:William James Farrer (3 April 1845 – 16 April 1906) was a leading Australian agronomist and plant breeder. Farrer is best remembered as the originator of the “Federation” strain of wheat, distributed in 1903. His work resulted in significant improvements in both the quality and crop yields of Australia’s national wheat harvest, a contribution for which he earned the title ‘father of the Australian wheat industry’.

Watermark: Captain Cook in left panel


Macarthur’s estate consisted of 5000 acres of prime pasture land with two notable dwellings; the Camden Park House and the Belgenny Cottage. The original Belgenny Cottage was designed and built by Henry Kitchen in the 1820s. It’s symmetrical Georgian style has been heavily altered from the original, retaining only some of the original vernacular. The cottage stood as the John Macarthur’s residence whilst he awaited completion of the Camden Park House. Macarthur had then decided that the family would relocate to Camden and in turn, he commissioned Camden Park House. It was completed in 1835, just after the death of John Macarthur, having been supervised by his sons James and William Macarthur. John Verge and Mortimer Lewis drew up plans for Macarthur regarding the house and the design by Verge was subsequently chosen. The house stands on a rise amid its plantation of trees presenting its original Palladian style, columned portico towards the garden side. A two storey wing was added in 1880 giving the overall look of the dwelling one akin with Old Colonial Regency. It is built of brick that has been stuccoed and limned like stone which combines with the use of local sandstone for the window surrounds and columns to add texture and colour to the building. The descendants of John Macarthur continue to live in the Camden Park House. 

You may also like…

Shopping Cart