2014 ST MICHAELS CHURCH 2 EURO CARDED SET

AUD$24.50

1 in stock

Qty:
Compare
SKU: 2014STMICHAELSCHURCH2EUROCARDEDSET-WC55 Categories: ,

Description

This 2014 set of 2 Euros coins commemorates St. Michael’s Church in Hildesheim, Germany which became a UNESCO World Heritage listed site in 1985. It is the 2nd such set we have offered here but this one is from another supplier and is set in a card and not plastic blisters like the other set.

All 5 coins are in mint uncirculated condition and packaged in the protective card with soft plastic covers.

There were 5 mints involved in the production and all 5 mint marks are in this set being  A, D, F, G and J.

These sets are quite limited and are fantastic method to collect and protect your 2 euro coins from around Europe collections.

Additional information

SKU

Design

Country –    Germany
Year –         2014
Value –        2 euros
Metal –        Copper Nickel
Diameter –   25.8 mm
Thickness – 2.2 mm
Weight –      8.5 grams per coin
Grade –       Uncirculated
Obverse  –   St. Michael’s Church in Hildesheim, Lower Saxony
Reverse –    € 2 set on map of Europe with twelve Euro stars and the designer initials “LL” for “Luc Luycx”

Total circulation = 30 million copies
Mintage by mintmark
A –  6,000,000
D –  6,300,000
F –  7,200,000
G – 4,200,000
J –  6,300,000

History

This excerpt has been taken from the U.N.E.S.C.O.  World Heritage web site in relation to St. Michaels Church at Hildenheim. It gives a good over view of why the church is so important.

St Michael’s Church has exerted great influence on developments in architecture. The complex bears exceptional testimony to a civilization that has disappeared. These two edifices and their artistic treasures give a better overall and more immediate understanding than any other decoration in Romanesque churches in the Christian West.

The ancient Benedictine abbey church of St Michael, built between 1010 and 1022 by Bernward, Bishop of Hildesheim, is one of the key monuments of medieval art. Of basilical layout with opposed apses, the church is characterized by its symmetrical design: the east and west choirs are each preceded by a transept which protrudes substantially from the side aisles; elegant circular turrets on the axis of the gable of both transept arms contrast with the silhouettes of the massive lantern towers located at the crossing. In the nave, the presence of square impost pillars alternating in a original rhythm with columns having cubic capitals creates a type of elevation which was prove very successful in Ottonian and Romanesque art.

You may also like…